Invest in Our Planet: The Importance of Renewable Energy for Sustainable Construction
With the pressing need to address climate change and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, renewable energy has become an increasingly important topic in recent years Renewable energy is energy that comes from sources or processes that are constantly replenished, such as wind, solar, geothermal, and hydroelectric power. These sources offer a sustainable alternative to finite and polluting fossil fuels, making them an essential component of a low-carbon future.
In Ireland, the government has set ambitious targets to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and transition to a low-carbon economy. The Climate Action Plan released in November 2021 and updated in 2023 outlines measures and actions to reduce emissions by 50% by 2030 and reach net-zero emissions by no later than 2050. Renewable energy will play a significant role in meeting these targets, as Ireland currently relies heavily on imported fossil fuels such as oil and gas to provide energy for freight, transport, industry, residential, and commercial sectors.
To achieve the goals set out by the Irish government, the development and construction of renewable energy infrastructure such as solar farms, and onshore and offshore wind farms are critical. The ORS Civil & Structural Team has extensive experience and expertise in assisting in the development and construction of renewable energy projects, providing a range of services such as:
- Planning Applications – Preparation of civil engineering deliverables associated with planning applications for renewable energy infrastructure projects.
- Construction Stage Support – Provision of pre-construction and post-construction surveys of various assets during the construction phase of renewable energy infrastructure projects.
- Solar Retrofit – Structural review of existing buildings to ensure that the roof has the capacity to support the solar PV panels.
As a multidisciplinary building consultancy, ORS recognises that every project is an opportunity to engineer a more sustainable future. Our Fire Safety, Infrastructure, Environmental, and Energy Management Teams provide tailored solutions to meet the specific needs of each renewable energy project. Our team of experts is committed to creating a more sustainable future for Ireland and the planet.
Renewable Energy in Ireland
- Wind energy is one of the most significant renewable energy sources in Ireland, accounting for 34% of the country’s electricity in 2022. Ireland has a vast potential for offshore wind energy, with the government aiming to deliver 5 GW of offshore wind energy by 2030.
- Solar energy is also an essential renewable energy source, with the potential to generate electricity for homes and businesses across Ireland, which the ORS Energy Management Team is already helping with nationwide.
- Marine energy is another promising renewable energy source in Ireland, with the potential for the development of tidal and wave energy.
By investing in renewable energy and sustainable construction, we can create a more sustainable future for Ireland and the planet. ORS is committed to playing our part in this transition, providing expert assistance to renewable energy projects and working towards a low-carbon future. If you are interested in discussing your next project with sustainability in mind, get in touch with ORS today. Together, we can build a better future for generations to come.